Icy Phoenix

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. 
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post The Blog Mod - Integrating It Into IP ? 

Having some trouble here and I hope Kas or Lopalong will have some knowledge regarding the error I'm receiving.  I've installed the mod quite effortlessly but am getting a Security Alert from CrackerTracker upon blog creation.  Is there a setting I can edit in a CBACK file somewhere that will allow full cooperation with this modification?

Security Alert:

Spoiler: [ Show ]

Here is the modification location and install directions.

Thanks to anyone who can get me on the right track!

http://www.outshine.com/software/the-blog-mod/

Last edited by Guest on Thu 26 Jun, 2008 00:08; edited 1 time in total 
ChaoticSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: The Blog Mod 

Mate, Code in Code-Wrappers - Please.

These files (It's getting too late for me to be looking what is in what file?).

Do them one at a time and test. Some may already have the CT_* line with MEDIUM so change it to "LOW".

Find: define('IN_PHPBB', true);

After ADD (Or change as required):  define('CT_SECLEVEL', 'LOW');

##                viewtopic.php,
##                admin/admin_groups.php,
##                includes/constants.php,
##                includes/page_header.php,
##                includes/usercp_viewprofile.php,

If nothing changes during each test - remove / change back what you did with the file.

Let's see what happens?

If NOTHING! Then it will be time to look at what files comes with the MOD you've added - so one will need to know where to get it.

You can also help there by checking the browser bottom-bar for the url that you mousing over to start this thing. (possibly weblog.php or something) Then add the code above to that file. Also check what's under define('IN_PHPBB', true); "Path-Wise" that it's calling and progress through those files doing the same thing.

Best of luck!

Back to topPage bottom

i had a similar error with ct applying another mod, throw it into debug mode and replicate it, this time you will get a precise msg stating what line in what file is causing the error..

crimsonsunSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Please forgive my stupidity.  I wasn't thinking.

Thanks for the tips Lopalong.  I tried adding that line in all the files you mentioned, but had no luck.  I then added that line in the weblog_config.php file and it finally let me create a blog.  I'm now seeing another error when previewing/posting a new entry in the blog:

Undefined function...does that mean that function isn't listed in includes/functions or is this a database problem?  I know you aren't familiar with The Blog Mod and it isn't supported on this website, but I am really appreciating all the help you are giving.

Let me know if you know of a "quick-fix" or if you want to throw the towel in...LOL.

Thanks again buddy  

Back to topPage bottom

Thanks crimsonsun, I keep forgetting about Cback and Debug - Maybe it's because I don't use it.

Chaotic,

That string is for parsing bbcode in phpBB2* and Icy Phoenix uses different code. It also brings to mind a short discussion about this, or another weblog (w-united or something) here somewhere and not all that long ago. ?

It's going to take a lot of work to MOD that application to work with IP - And not something I am particularly interested in doing.

Sorry Buddy,

You'se is on you own.

PS: You should also look at the similar topics here to see where it headed and / or how it finished up.

Back to topPage bottom

Thats ok.  Thanks for all your help, as usual, Lopalong.

Back to topPage bottom

Don't sound so glum

I'm up to here -> And Note the "Body Text"  

Replace the file in the .zip - and when you're done. I'll move this thread to the Generally-Topic stuff.  

Smilies are not parsing yet from IP - Working very S.L.O.W.L.Y to find the problems.  

weblog_entry.zip
Description:  
Download
Filename: weblog_entry.zip
Filesize: 9.39 KB
Downloaded: 265 Time(s)

Back to topPage bottom

I didn't mean to sound like that, but I didn't expect you or anyone to work on this further than what you did.  I'm not very knowledgeable with these errors or the workarounds.

I replaced the file and am still seeing this error when clicking preview:

If I go straight to submit, the entry is posted and viewable, but is using html.  I enabled HTML in the board just for testing purposes, but the formatting was still the same as in the picture below:

Thanks again for continuing your work on this.  

Back to topPage bottom

Stripping the html would be about the last step to fix - it's getting the whole thing to work first within IP.

It gets worse as one progresses through the functions, and has to continually modify the code, paths, add and remove vars and whatnot (to remove all of the other errors that pop up),  just to be able to progress to the next step.

The whole thing is full of script like that. It's also getting a little out of the boundaries of my expertise unless I do a whole lot more reading and learning.  

And for what the blog-mod is and what it does, in my opinion it's not worth the effort.

I may try a patch for it rather than integrate it fully into IP functions. - - - Maybe.

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: The Blog Mod - Integrating It Into IP ? 

Just the stuff you are doing now, I'm grateful for!

Is the wordpress blog mod better than this mod in your opinion?

Thanks again Lopalong.

Back to topPage bottom

I had Fantastico install the latest wordpress on my site (Not something I'd use myself) for a look-see. It would have to be 1000% better than weblog, but again it's the same drawback - Modded for phpBB with w-united and again lots of variations to the MOD code and IP files to make it work with IP.

The only people who will get this to work are the Core Programmers I think - But they seem to be conspicuous in their absence, or uninterested in anything that anyone is working on, and appear to prefer to "Leave it up to MG".

Dunno! But if a "Blog" like wordpress bridged to a forum is what I wanted to keep me happy - I'd be using phpBB2-* (or 3 If the WP MOD has been made compatible).

I suppose one could go through the w-united MOD.TXT and remove all of the instructions that are easy and a 100% correct in relation to files and code additions / replacements / alterations etc, and leave everything that does not reflect what the author indicates as to where or what should be / looks like etc. And post the remaining "Hard" instructions here so that hopefully those who know where everything is, how it has been altered or where it has been moved to - can take it up and finish it with new instructions for those elements.

I've had a look at wp-united and would say that about 80% is OK, 10% I can fix and 10% indicates changes I can't find anywhere because of the way IP code and the location of it has changed. viewonline.php = half of functions_mg_online.php etc just being one of them

Maybe 5% I can't find.  

I should have come here 12 months ago.    

Back to topPage bottom

Blog Mod was buggy and had security holes... that is why I have never integrated it in IP.

Plus I don't like having such a tool... because it allows too many customizations by registered users... and it is highly unsafe.

Having said that... anyone is free to install this mod on his site taking its own risk.

Honestly I cannot help in the full process of integrating this MOD because it is time consuming... and time is a precious resource for me nowadays...

I can only help with small issues but only if you provide me with ready to use package to test.

Finally I don't want to criticize users choice... but I believe that if think you need a blog, you don't need IP: if configured well Icy Phoenix can be used as a blog as well... no need to integrate Wordpress or Joomla or anything other else, because it means you don't need IP. Better use any blog or CMS you like and standard phpBB 3. You will get better performances, better support, better security... no reasons to keep using IP if it doesn't fit your needs. Again... it is just my opinion... it isn't mean to offend or criticize anyone here.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

A little update...

Maybe you may be also interested in this mod...

http://www.mpsmod.com/

Someone already integrated it in Icy Phoenix...

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
Blog Mod was buggy and had security holes... that is why I have never integrated it in IP.

Plus I don't like having such a tool... because it allows too many customizations by registered users... and it is highly unsafe.

Having said that... anyone is free to install this mod on his site taking its own risk.

Honestly I cannot help in the full process of integrating this MOD because it is time consuming... and time is a precious resource for me nowadays...

I can only help with small issues but only if you provide me with ready to use package to test.

Finally I don't want to criticize users choice... but I believe that if think you need a blog, you don't need IP: if configured well Icy Phoenix can be used as a blog as well... no need to integrate Wordpress or Joomla or anything other else, because it means you don't need IP. Better use any blog or CMS you like and standard phpBB 3. You will get better performances, better support, better security... no reasons to keep using IP if it doesn't fit your needs. Again... it is just my opinion... it isn't mean to offend or criticize anyone here.

It does allow a lot of customizations, but it looks completely configurable in the ACP to not allow certain things.

I have quite a few users that would be interested in keeping a personal gaming blog that is tied to their user account at my website.

I don't understand how you think IP could be used as a blog.  I'm looking for a blog mod that will give each user their own personal blog.  IP is doing a pretty good job of fitting my community, but I'm looking to expand my user's IP experience further than what is already offered.  Even if only a handful of users were to use the blog, just knowing that feature is available would show your users you really do have everything.

Think of the personal blog as you would the game of Sudoku included with IP.  It's there, but many people don't use it.   It's still there for anyone to enjoy.  I do understand that you and the IP staff are busy people, but would it be a bad thing for IP to expand it's horizons?  After all, for some reason, you included Sudoku, LOL.

/opinion.

I know you are a busy person Lopalong and I am very grateful for the effort you put into this for me.  It's rare that you find someone as helpful as yourself.  This modification looks to be very challenging and maybe impossible, so it might be a good idea to just call it a day and leave it be.

Again, thanks for your help buddy.  

Back to topPage bottom

Chaotic,

You've given all the right reasons for why you want this type of application to run on your site

So stand by! - I'll see what I can sort out with wordpress and wp-united and run it past MG to have a look at it, because I'm still finding my way through a lot of IP and how the code has been changed even moreso than Orion.

I agree with MG about the Blog Mod - could be more trouble than what it's worth - Even so, wordpress is a whole lot more professional, both to use and to look at.

Don't hold your breath - But I will keep you updated.  

Back to topPage bottom
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List