Icy Phoenix

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Re: UPI2DB System 

Hi moretecaviar,

i´m not sure if this is an problem of the original UPI2DB. I´m thinkin that this phpBBXS related, otherwise other users of UPI2DB should have found this bug.

I dont know why we have this error. And i tested it, that I can´t replicate this error  

seen this also only here.

Play Games at GamesCampus!

KugeLSichASend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

OK i found the error.

If you made an post in an normal forum, and after than you move this into an Forum with special rights (maybe Admin forum) the posts where counted as unread.

So i think its an prob of the Move posts MOD.

I have written the UPI2DB MOD author to verify if this is an prob of UPI2DB or an problem of our xs version. he asked me to translate the problem that we have, because his english is not very good, so i think its better if you (moreteavicar) post things about UPI2DB here on xs, and i report it in german to Bigrib (Author).

cya

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: BUG -UPI2DB System 

Thanks Holle, but I also saw this problem if I made a new post in a hidden area. And also, theory as well as experiment show this...
As I say, look in the UPI2DB files I mentioned - the way it works is that the function set_unread() adds to the UPI2DB database every recent post (i.e. whenever the function is called) - assigning a user_id (of the reader) to the post, so that it can be flagged as new or unread to the reader, depending on age and last logon. There is absolutely nothing to check for the view authorisation, so any new post made will get added to the UPI2DB unread table, and will appear as a new/unread post to the user, regardless of whether it is to a normal area or hidden area. So I can't see how it can be XS specific, nor down to using the lite version - even the full version has no view authorisation checking. If theres no authorisation checking, then theres no authorisation checking, and I can't see how else it can differentiate whether a user should be assigned to a post they cannot read in the unread_posts table.  Does this make sense, or is this a case of me being completely mad in a world of sanity, (which to a philosopher is just as valid in the opposite sense)

Because fundamentally it doesn't check permissions, the problem will of course flag posts that have been moved to hidden areas as well! Maybe there is a difference because of the newer versions of UPI2DB. I'm using XS059rc3, but I see that 059 upi2DB files are identical to 058 anyhow, so the problem should be seen if you are using 058, and you create a completely hidden forum - with view auth of the forum and everthing within being admin. Make some new posts. Then log in immediately with a regular user test accout (depending on the likelihood of another user posting, confusing the issue!). You should see a few new posts counted at the top, and when you click to see them, you are told you cannot view them. Funnily enough, I cannot see the problem on this site, beause I'll have to go through all the 394 unread posts counted for me!

I've been a bit busy with other things at the moment, but I have a fix in mind (for me then, as it seems to be just me that sees this), and will try it hopefully soon!

Thanks for your help

Last edited by moreteavicar on Thu 28 Sep, 2006 14:36; edited 1 time in total 
moreteavicarSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

i spoke with the MOD author and he has verified this BUG.

Its also in the vanilla phpBB. You dont need to do anything ATM. BigRib wrote in his forum, that he is working on an fix for that.

He has an thing in mind.

I´m checking the forum for that, and if the fix is out there i´ll report it here, so we can add it.

cya

Back to topPage bottom

Cool! I'm not mad after all!  

moreteavicarSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I'll try to check even this one.